Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

this and that

I am still up and down in feeling good and not, so I am not getting nearly as much accomplished as I would like.  I have a tradeshow coming up in October that I need to get sewing for.  I have patterns, I have fabrics, but most of the time I simply don't have the motivation.  Hopefully by the end of August I will have a bit of fire to get going.

I am still waiting for my fabrics for the Hexie MF quilt.  I am getting a little impatient, but they should come soon.  Every time I go to the mailbox and there are only flyers, I get a little more antsy.  But they do have to ship from the States after all, so I should give it a little more time.

I did complete some things between the last post and this one.  

First was a custom order sleepsack for a baby boy who will be making his arrival sometime this month.  

It's been ages since I made a sleepsack, and I almost forgot how!  I am sure I did the zipper differently than I used to do, but for the life of me, I could not think straight.  
That seems to happen a lot to me lately.

I also finished the pair of shorts I had mentioned last time.
I am entering them in the Shorts on the Line series going on over at Imagine Gnats.

They did not turn out as they look in the picture of Ottobre magazine, but apparently that is okay.  
I did not use cotton as they did in Ottobre - I used a wrinklier fabric, so it doesn't lay flat and stays poofier than cotton.  I also made the elastic smaller around the legs and that makes them more bubbly too.  
My sisters assure me that they are the cutest thing because they are poofy.  They said that I should dress D in such things while she is still small enough for it to be cute.  And I must admit, these shorts do look pretty cute on her.


It was my first time doing a fake fly and though I was slightly confused at first (yeah, the not thinking straight thing), it worked out pretty good!  I skipped the belt loops because D does not wear a belt and if I added the decoration of a string belt, she would just be distracted by it to no end until the thing was broken.  Belt loops will have to wait until she is older.
I will have to try and get a picture of her in them.  Try is of course the key word.  Maybe distract her with a ball...


The pockets are like little bubbles on the sides.  D found them right away and stuck her hands in them, strutting around with her knees bent so she could keep her hands in them.

Will definitely be making another pair of these another year, but with cotton and looser leg elastic.  

Every year for our anniversary we go somewhere.  Our first anniversary, D was just 4 months old, so we did a short trip to the Edmonton Zoo.  Our second anniversary, we went a little farther, to the Calgary Zoo.  This year, we are going a little longer - camping for two nights.  D has been camping before, but not really.  I think she spent a total of 2 days on the beach over 2 camping trips.  This year we hope is different.  We hope to spend 2 or three days at the beach in a row!  Imagine that!  :)

So in preparation for our camping excursion, I thought to make D a beach towel poncho.  I had recently seen a great tutorial over at Delia Creates for a hooded beach poncho.  I loved how the hood was two layers thick and I also liked how she attached the hood to the main towel.  

This was a super quick project.  In fact I think from start to finish it took me maybe a half hour.  Super easy for something so handy.


I love the bright colours of the towels.  Instead of using two regular bath towels, I went with one bath towel and a hand towel.  I still managed to get a full sized, double thick hood out of it.  Maybe not as deep as I would like, but it works.


Now we won't lose her on the beach.  She has a bright pink swimsuit and hat and a bright orange and yellow towel.  
Now that I see this picture, it kind of reminds me of a duck. 
Works for me!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the shorts.For sure you will be able to spot little"D" with that bright towel....CUTE tho'
    Hope you start feeling better.
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great assortment of projects! The shorts are adorable! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those shorts! The pocket fabric is so adorable, great job!

    ReplyDelete