Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

a new swap

I am really getting into this quilting thing.  I never thought I would like quilting, and I don't think I do in the traditional sense.  Making a whole bunch of blocks and making a quilt is not what I like doing right now, though even that may come.  I like making different kinds of quilts. 

Like the Hexy MF quilt.  I like handwork.  
I have 5 finished stacks now.  That means 5 finished fabrics and only 5 plus the centre colour to go.  I've decided to do some scrappy centres as well, just to keep things fun.


 I have also joined another swap.  This is another idea I had pinned a few months ago, so I could hardly resist joining this swap!  It's the *Picture Perfect* Polaroid Block Swap.

A Quilter’s Table

We are swapping untrimmed blocks without the sashing; just the polaroid.  I signed up for 20 blocks, but I have a few more good fabrics for this, I think I may just do a few more!  


For every block I am swapping, I am making one for myself.  That way, by the end of it all, I will have twice as many and a good beginning if I decide to make a quilt of them.  

Since I was making the blocks, I thought I also had to try it out with the sashing.


I used Kona Coal and I love how this came together!  I decided while I was at it to make a mini 4 blocks wide by 3 long.  I am really loving how this looks!


The only thing that stumps me now is how to quilt it.  I am thinking stitch in the ditch because I really don't want to take anything away from the blocks themselves.  Any other suggestions?

I have to share this picture too.


I was busy sewing blocks and little D must have thought I looked hungry.  She came over with some of her kitchen stuff and served me soup and juice, right on my machine.  Such a thoughtful little girl.

4 comments:

  1. Aren't the polaroids fun? I kept a few for myself as well - not an exact match to the ones I sent in but they are as close as I could as I didn't have 2 of everything I fussy cut. Will you be making a pillow out of that? Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, you're going to have a quilt half done by the time you get your swapped blocks!! ;-) They look awesome! Love them with the coal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've been on a roll with the hexy's. You'll be finished before you know it!

    The polaroids are so cool - I don't think I have the right sort of fabrics for fussy cutting. Now I'm curious to have a look through my stash. It sounds like a really fun swap to be in. The four polaroids you've sashed look great in the Coal. With Stitch in the Ditch do you mean along the seams of the sashing or around the polaroids? The other idea I have is to quilt 1/4" around each of the polaroids which could look fun since they are all facing different ways but it could be a pain stopping and starting and dealing with thread tails. Or you could do something dense like pebbles in the sashing only.

    dxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Polaroid blocks are so much fun to make! Great idea with changing the sashing fabric on them =D

    Also I've added some new fabrics into my swap shop, as well as a new one via Flickr. If you're interested feel free to check them out =D
    http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/p/cheraldines-swap-shop.html
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibescheraldine/sets/72157630591128322/

    ReplyDelete