Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

A Finished Affair

Aren't my titles punny? 

Moving on...
I have finished the complicated diaper bag.  It did not turn out as I hoped.  I picked a lot of stitches, poked my finger a hundred times while handstitching, and got fairly frustrated.  
This bag really did take me 3 days to finish.  Ridiculous!  Usually I can be done in a day!

I sure hope my sister likes it now because I have finished with it and have no desire to do anymore work on it. You know how it gets after working on something that frustrates you and takes longer than intended and then doesn't turn out how you envisioned.  You simply don't want to look at it anymore.

Here she is in all her baggy blue glory.


Pretty and innocent enough from the outside
But then you see it... the rotten recessed zipper.


I tried to find a good tutorial for inserting a recessed zipper and they all seemed fairly easy.  But none of them were exactly like I wanted.  Most didn't have the top bands or the width this bag has.  So I spent forever and a day finagling this zipper into this bag.  Overall, not a failure, just not how I envisioned.
Plenty of pockets on the inside, just as my sister asked.


In other, less frustrating ventures, I made butter.  


My dear husband brought home a can of cream from the dairy he works at.  I made some oh so yummy cinnamon buns with some of the cream and beat the rest into butter.  

Fairly simple.  Just beat the cream until you get past the whipped cream stage and the buttermilk and butter start separating.  Then strain the buttermilk and knead the butter in cold water to remove any excess buttermilk.  What you are left with is yummy wholesome whipped butter. 

And some buttermilk, which I used to make banana bread.

Sure smells delicious in here!

3 comments:

  1. It's frustrating when things don't go according to plan, but the bag really looks great; both the colours and style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the bag! I understand problems with diaper bags. The one I made for myself was supposed to have a zippered pocket inside. After all kinds of fussing and fighting, I said forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom wanted me to make a birdie sling bag and add a recessed zipper. Eventually she got sick of waiting for me to figure it out and let me just do a magnetic snap. Zippers intimidate me to begin with! Great job making it work for this bag!!! I love the fabrics, too!

    ReplyDelete