Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

OCD over Ideas

I am a lover of ideas.

I don't mean this in an intellectual sense, though I do think of myself as a bit of an intellectual person.
I mean this in an OCD kind of way.  You know, you fall in love with the idea of something and then just go with it.  For a very long time.  Until you suddenly tire of it and never hardly look at it again.

That's what I mean when I say I am a lover of ideas.

For example. 
I love the idea of buttons. I love buttons.
Some of my button collection.
I have more buttons than I will ever use.  I have a jar of pink buttons, purple buttons, blue buttons, vintage buttons, white buttons.  I have cards of snap buttons.  I have a little bag of jean buttons.  I have a jar of 'nice' buttons - they have shapes or designs on them.
Recently, I have come to love the idea of fabric covered buttons.  I have never used one or even made one, but I am in love with them. I picked up some kits at the thrift store the other day, just to try.  Now I need to decide where I want to use them.
Of course the problem with using them, is that they are gone afterwards.
Did I hear someone say 'hoarder'?  Yeah.
Why?  Because I love the idea of buttons of course.

I also love the idea of vintage sheets.
Image 1, 2, 3

I have seen so many projects (quilts, pillows, dresses) made from vintage sheets that I have come to love the idea of them.  I keep scouring thrift stores in search of THE vintage sheet.  I have yet to find it.  In fact, most of the vintage sheets I see are faded or just pale in colour to begin with.  Is that how they are supposed to look?  Cuz then I may just fall out of love with them.  I keep hoping to hit the jackpot.  I'll let you know when I do.

Are there any ideas you love but haven't tried?  Usually, once I try an idea, it doesn't take me long to become un-enamoured of it.  Then I end up with, well, lots of something.

1 comment:

  1. I keep looking at "vintage" linens too....but they look like they just came out of my mother's linen closet and I just can't bring myself to make something to wear with them, because I know I will feel like I am wearing an old 70s polyester sheet! I think the key is to find pre-polyester sheets--real cotton. I do better with fairly new sheets; I blogged recently about two dresses I made from a Wal-Mart sheet.

    ReplyDelete